Worship returns to 10:30 am this Sunday!
Preview for this Sunday:
All Church Work Party Saturday, September 8, join us for a couple of hours to spruce up our building and grounds in preparation for a great autumn. We begin at 10:00 am; bring your work gloves!
September 9: Kick-off Sunday!
- Adult Sunday School The format for our 9:00 am session will be in 4-parts each week: Who, What, Where, and When. Each week will cover 4 topics that will inspire, challenge, and encourage you. Please plan on coming on September 9 to give it a try. You might be surprised by what you learn.
- Practicing Faith Our next sermon series will begin on Kick-off Sunday with “Times of Yearning, Practices of Faith.” We will explore a chapter each week from the book “Practicing Our Faith: A Way of Life for a Searching People.”
- Back-to-School BBQ & Dessert Auction After worship, we’re feasting! Bring a side dish to share, or a dessert to auction off to the highest bidder (bring your checkbook!)
- Scrip Sunday Support our church every time you shop. Consider your needs this autumn: groceries, home projects, carwashes, winter clothes, Christmas gifts (never too early!) All of these can be purchased with scrip. It costs you nothing more – and it’s free money for the church! (bring your checkbook!)
- Second Sunday Spiritual Practices Let’s practice our faith through Bible meditation (or Lectio Divina) at 6:00 pm. More info at https://vermonthillsumc.org/spiritual-practices/
Bible Study It’s back, baby! The best bible study in the PNW. A little bit snarky, a little bit crazy, and a whole lot caring, inquisitive, and enlightening. You *will* come away with a new way to look at the book of Hebrews. We’ll start with a potluck dinner on Wednesday, Sep 5, at 7:00 pm in the Fireside Room. Bring a side or dessert to share. Bo will share the backstory of Hebrews, so you don’t want to miss it.
Coffee Hosts There is a new sign-up sheet in Fellowship Hall. Every spot is open! Sign up early, sign up often. Assistance is available for newbies.
Swifts Sighting Join the Youth to see thousands of swifts gather to roost in the chimney of Chapman Elementary. Reportedly the largest flock of Vaux’s Swifts in the world, these birds return every year during their migration to Central America. September 16 at 5:00 pm. For more info: audubonportland.org/local-birding/swiftwatch.
Meals for Katie North As Katie’s ankle and wrist heal from her longboarding accident, she will need help with meals. Visit this website, https://mealtrain.com/y3k0wk, to sign up to take a meal, or to order gift cards for restaurants, grocery stores, and delivery services. Your assistance is greatly appreciated!
Talk N Thought The “dynamite” ladies of TnT would love to have you join them every Tuesday at 1:00 pm in the Fireside Room. They are just beginning “My Name is Mahala.” Expect great conversation, yummy snacks, and reading/discussing insightful books.
Sunnyside Community House (SCH) SCH provides “radical hospitality,” by offering weekly meals, regular day shelter, clothing exchange, showers, and a warm and friendly place for anybody in need. There are numerous ways to help. See the trunk by the office for material items to donate. Visit our website for other ways to assist this very worthy cause.
Prayer Chain Please email your prayer requests to PrayerVHUMC@gmail.com. If you do not have access to email, you may call Linda Miller at 503.929.6696. The ‘Prayers of the People’ is crafted each week from this information.
Thank you to all those who have volunteered for this Sunday’s worship service:
Liturgist: John Espy
Projectionist: Elizabeth Brown
Storyteller: Bryan Cooper
Ushers: Jim Van Nest, Scott Wegner
Coffee: Reverend Doctor Bo C. Sanders
Be sure to check out Vermont Hills UMC’s website vermonthillsumc.org,
and our Interactive Calendar vermonthillsumc.org/calendar,
for all the latest happenings going on with the church, special videos and Facebook posts.
Connect with Pastor Bo Sanders: 503-567-9095 or email@example.com
Mark your calendars now for some upcoming dates and events:
Sep 5 Bible Study Kick-off Dinner
Sep 8 All Church Work Party
Sep 9 Kick-Off Sunday!
9:00 am Adult Sunday School
10:30 am New Series “Practicing Our Faith” begins
11:30 am Scrip Sunday
11:30 am Back-to-School BBQ & Dessert Auction
6:00 pm Second Sunday Spiritual Practices