Worship Times: August 19 and 26, 10:00—11:00
September 2 and beyond, 10:30 – 11:30
August 19, 2018: Chapter 7 of “God Unbound”
Preview for this Sunday:
Pub Chat Tuesday, August 21, at The Lodge at Cascade Brewing at 7:00 pm. Our topic can be found at https://www.ministrymatters.com/all/entry/9126/incivility
Thank You Many thanks to those who participated in our online survey! Your thoughtful responses will be helpful in planning for the future.
New Website We have a new look to our website (www.vermonthillsumc.org). There’s lots of new content, a new calendar, and it adapts to various devices — your smartphone, tablet, and laptop. Give it a run and let us know how we can make it stronger and clearer.
School Supplies Our annual collection of school supplies for our community partner, Hayhurst Elementary School, has begun. Please bring items to the church by Sunday, Aug 26. The list of supplies may be found on the welcome table in the lobby, and on our website.
Choir Call We want you! People who praise God with their voices! Whether you can read music or not… whether you can attend every Sunday or not… If you are willing to try, we want you! Choir does a “run through” at 10 am for that Sunday’s music and rehearses new music after coffee hour. Come as you can. We resume rehearsals on August 25. Contact Joy Wegner at 503.244.1238 for more information.
Kick-off Sunday, Sep 9:
- Adult Sunday School The format for our 9am session will be in 4-parts each week: Who, What, Where, and When. Each week will cover 4 topics that will inspire, challenge, and encourage you. Please plan on coming on September 9 to give it a try. You might be surprised by what you learn.
- Practicing Faith We have never had access to more information or more communication. The internet and cell phones mean that we are always on. What does faith look like in the 21st century? Unless we want to move away from civilization and live off the grid, we need to have an honest conversation about life and faith in ‘real time’. Our Sunday conversations this Fall will be a response to the question, “what do we do with what we know?” The topics will come from a book “Practicing Our Faith” which we will have available for sale at the welcome table soon. Please plan on joining us for this stimulating journey!
- Back-to-School BBQ & Dessert Auction After worship, we’re feasting! Bring a side dish to share, or a dessert to auction off to the highest bidder.
- Scrip Sunday! Support the church every time you shop
- Second Sunday Spiritual Practices Bible meditation (or Lectio Divina) at 6:00 pm. More info: https://vermonthillsumc.org/spiritual-practices/
Sunnyside Community House (SCH) We have begun a new partnership with the former Sunnyside UMC. SCH provides “radical hospitality,” by offering weekly meals, regular day shelter, clothing exchange, showers, and a warm and friendly place for anybody in need. There are numerous ways to help. See the trunk by the office for material items to donate. Visit our website for other ways to assist this very worthy cause.
Prayer Chain Please email your prayer requests to PrayerVHUMC@gmail.com. If you do not have access to email, you may call Linda Miller at 503.929.6696. The ‘Prayers of the People’ is crafted each week from this information.
Thank you to all those who have volunteered for today’s worship service:
Projectionist: Lorraine Crawford
Storyteller: Elizabeth Brown
Ushers: Dori Killion, Pat Crawford, Dottie Alsman
Coffee: Mary Turk, Donna Ward
Be sure to check out Vermont Hills UMC’s website vermonthillsumc.org,
and our Interactive Calendar vermonthillsumc.org/calendar,
for all the latest happenings going on with the church, special videos and Facebook posts.
Connect with Pastor Bo Sanders: 503-567-9095 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Mark your calendars now for some upcoming dates and events:
Aug 21 Pub Chat
Aug 25 Movie on the Lawn “Finding Dory”
Sep 5 Bible Study Kick-off Dinner (NEW date)
Sep 8 All Church Work Party
Sep 9 Kick-Off Sunday!
9:00 am Adult Sunday School
10:30 am New Series “Practicing Our Faith” begins
11:30 am Scrip Sunday
11:30 am Back-to-School BBQ & Dessert Auction
6:00 pm Second Sunday Spiritual Practices